Friday, June 17, 2011

Faux Sea Glass Jars


So I've recently been researching painting glass jars and came across a few people 
who've painted their jars to look like sea glass.  Very Summery, so I thought 
I'd give it a try.


The first method (and the one with the best results) I tried was Mod Podge and Acrylic Paint, 
and I chose to use a foam paint brush in hopes to keep the streaks down.


I really liked the matte and milky finish I produced using this method.


Then I decided to take it a step further and hot glue twine around the necks 
of a few, or use fiber covered wire to create hanging lanterns.


I think the twine around the necks add to the summery, beachy feel.


I plan to get some sand and small tea light candles for the lanterns.
I cannot wait to see how they look glowing on our back porch in the evening!


I have also recently ordered a glass paint that is supposed to produce the look of an antique blue canning jar!
Can't wait to try it out!


I am a big fan of jars, and if you've read much of my blog you know that my husband and I keep all our glass food jars instead of throwing them out. So I am excited to have found a new use for them!


Happy Blogging!

I am linking up with:




















HOG

Beyond The Picket Fence


8 comments:

  1. Stephani, thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of blogsville. I will be posting the wreath and book cover tutorials soon. :) I'm so glad you found me because I came over to visit your site and I absolutely LOVE your style! I've been devouring each post and feasting my eyes on all the pics. I'm now your newest follower!

    -Stacy
    ThePreciousLittleThingsInLife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this tutorial on how to make clear glass jars something special. I like that you were able to use easily found craft supplies. I love the embellishments that you added to the jars. I will be looking out for jars painted with the glass paint you have ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Thank you for sharing the color of paint. I needed a blue for a project.

    gertie@ www.theoldblockhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful. I tried this once, swirling the modgepodge paint mixture inside the jar and letting it drip out. Then I put it in the oven at a low temp. Some came out great and others not so much. The bad thing about it being inside is it isn't good to put fresh flowers in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely darling~ what sweet little jars now! Would love for you to share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there~ just stopping back by to say thanks for sharing at FNF this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please add a picture of the jars hanging on your porch. I would love to see them. It is a great idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete